Grant Recipient 2019
Educational Support Program - Boys & Girls Club of Greater Memphis
The 4th Annual Madonna Circle Sweepstakes and the Gala Event benefits Memphis youth as they engage in the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Memphis’ Power Hour programming from August 2018 – May 2019.
The youth that participate in this program are teenagers between the ages of 13-18 who are members of the Clubs located throughout the city. The Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Memphis plays a vital role in helping over 1,500 youth improve their academic outcomes through the Power Hour program with the ultimate goal of increasing high school graduation rates in the city of Memphis: homework assistance, tutoring services, college preparation aid, and mentoring.
- For six straight years 100% of senior members have graduated on time and with a plan for the future. In May of 2017 that included 132 out of 132 senior members graduating
- 61% of which had plans to further their education by attending a four year or two year college in the fall.
- 71% of teen members expect to graduate from a 4-year college
- 73% of members report receiving mostly A’s & B’s
- 94% of members successful transitioned to the next grade
The majority of youth that BGCM serves are minorities who are among the most at-risk in the nation. According to the University of Memphis School of Public Affairs and Policy,
- Memphis has the nation's highest under-18 poverty rate of any metropolitan statistical area with a population over one million.
- 30.8% of Memphians under 18 are in poverty, a statistic that illustrates the difficult backgrounds most of our youth come from.
- 96% of our youth come from households that make less than $28,275 annually.
Living in such dire conditions means that the majority of the youth that we serve face obstacles that make obtaining a high school diploma and going to college extremely difficult. Through programs such as Power Hour that have proven to increase graduation rates for at-risk youth, our members get the support needed to graduate from high school and the skills necessary to be successful in college and beyond.
HOW POWER HOUR HELPS
Power Hour, our club staff provide a variety of academic support and enrichment services that help youth succeed in school such as:
- homework assistance
- tutoring services
- college preparation aid and more.
Academic enrichment is integrated into Power Hour through “high yield activities”, which are designed to be fun activities with a built-in learning goal. Moreover, our Clubs also provide members with positive role models who work with our youth within a nurturing environment during Power Hour. This mentoring component of Power Hour has been proven to have a positive impact on the decision-making skills of our Club members so that they can make good choices when it comes to their academic future.
Gala Tickets go on sale in 2019: Gala Ticket Price: TBD Learn more...
Sweepstakes Starts January 6, 2019: Ticket Price: $100 learn more...